Recipe by: Tania Nicaise
Source: Family Recipe
- 300 g rice for risotto (Carnaroli or Vialone Nano)*
- 50 g butter
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 100 ml dry white wine
- Salt, to taste
- A pinch of saffron, diluted in a little hot broth
- 1-1.5l hot broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 200 g bottom mushrooms
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp grated parmiggiano
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 30 g of butter (don’t let it burn!). Add the onions and cook till slightly golden.
- Add the rice , salt and mix well and cook until rice is translucent. Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the broth, one ladle soup at a time once the rice has absorbed the previous one.
- When the rice is half cooked, add the mushrooms and the saffron.
- Keep cooking, adding broth and mixing time to time.
- Once the rice is cooked (~ 18-20 min), turn off the heat, add the rest of butter and the grated parmesan
*Carnaroli and Vialone Nano can be found at Huber’s
Download PDF version here: italian-risotto-with-saffron-and-mushrooms-tania-nicaise