Recipe by: Vanita Aksekar
Source: Family Recipe
Dal Tadka is a staple Indian lentil preparation of soupy lentils tempered with spices.
- 1 cup tuvar dal / pigeon pea lentils.
- 2 – 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 green chili
- 1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp of ghee or oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 10 – 12 curry leaves
- a generous pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp of chili powder
- Take 1 cup of dal / lentil in a bowl and rinse it with water a couple of times.
- Soak dal for atleast 1 hour.
- Then transfer to a pressure cooker Add chopped tomatoes, fine chopped ginger, 1 green chili, 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 3 cups of water.
- Close the pressure cooker and let it cook on high flame for 4 to 5 whistles. Reduce the heat for two minutes and switch off.
- Once the pressure is released, churn the dal to get evenness & consistency. Cook again for few minutes.
- Prepare for tempering :
. Take another vessel and add two tablespoon of ghee / oil. Set the flame on medium high.
. Once the oil / ghee is hot, put mustard seeds, cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves.
. Switch off and ½ teaspoon of chili powder.
- To this tempering add the dal and keep some distance as this may splash on you.
- Serve decorated with coriander leaves.
Download PDF version here: dal-tadka-vanita-aksekar