Recipe by: Alina Preston
Source: Family Recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
- 2 medium-size beets, peeled and cut in small sticks or grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated (or cut intiny sticks)
- ½ cabbage – Chopped into long slices
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 capsicum (optional) chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tomato – diced
- 2 L of water/vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Black pepper 1 tablespoon
- dried parsley (optional)
- Dried, Fresh or frozen dill
- Heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large wok over medium/high heat.
- Add grated beets, carrots, onion and diced tomatoes.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the vegetables and stir.
- Add tomato paste to the vegetables
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 min.
- Boil pot of water with cabbage (diced cabbage) reduce the heat to low (to stop bubbles add cold water)
- Add the vegetables to the pot Add 1 tbsp of salt.
- Finally add black pepper and dried parsley to the soup and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove borsch from the heat. It is now ready to be served.
- When serving borsch, add sour cream and fresh herbs (like dill) to individual bowls.
Download PDF version here: israeli-vegetarian-borscht-alina-preston