Recipe by: Sylvia van de Snepscheut
Source: Family recipe
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 large regular potato
- 500 g Brussels sprouts
- 1 ½ bell pepper
- 1 can tomato paste for the vegetarian option, otherwise one chorizo approx. 200 g
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50 g butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- Peel the sweet and regular potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Clean the Brussel sprouts by removing the outer skins of the sprouts and cutting a small piece of the bottom of the sprouts, wash and cut them in half.
- Cut the peppers into thin strips (and the chorizo into slices -> remove any skin off it)
- Cut the onion into rings and garlic in to big chunks.
- Cook the potatoes with a little salt in about 20 minutes. Add the Brussel sprouts and let them boil along the final 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry over high heat the onion, bell pepper, (and the chorizo) and garlic in a frying pan with olive oil. It should be well done.
- Drain the potatoes and Brussels sprouts off, stir in a pat of butter and mash with a fork or a stew pestle.
- Stir in the bell pepper, 2 Tbsp of tomato paste (or the chorizo), garlic and onion sprouts from the potato puree and season to your taste with a bit of paprika powder, salt and pepper.
Download PDF versions here: dutch-brussel-sprouds-mached-potatoes-with-a-twist-sylvia-van-de-snepscheut