Recipe by: Sylvia van de Snepscheut
Source: Family recipe
- 1000 g of potatoes
- 500 g Brussels sprouts
- 250g diced bacon
- 150 ml of milk
- 50 g butter
- 1 large red onion
- 1tsp salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel the potatoes and boil with a little salt in about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, clean the Brussel sprouts by removing the outer skins of the sprouts and cutting a small piece of the bottom of the sprouts, wash and cut them in half.
- Add the Brussel sprouts and let them boil along the final 12 minutes.
- Chop the onion. Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion for about 2 minutes.
- Fry the bacon in a frying pan (use the fat from the bacon and gravy to puree the stew).
- Drain the potatoes and the Brussels sprouts, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potatoes and Brussels sprouts together.
- Make the stew smooth with a little of the cooking water, butter, the lard and a little (heated) milk.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste
Download PDF version here:dutch-old-fashioned-mashed-potatoes-brussel-sprouts-sylvia-van-de-snepscheut