Recipe by: Priyanka Kapoor
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
- 2 kgs red carrots (not the usual orange ones, I got the red carrots from Mustafa)
- 500 gms khoya (milk solids – also from Mustafa)
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown or white or molasses) or as per taste
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- 1 cup mixed Roasted nuts
- 1/2 cup dried raisins (soak in hot water for 30mins)
- 1 cup water
- Grate carrots and Khoya block in a food processor.
- Roast cardamom pods with no oil in a mini pan on low flame for 1-2 minutes till it starts smoking a little bit. Be careful that it doesn’t turn black. Once it releases its aroma, keep aside and then grind when it cools.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Add the cardamom to the ghee cooking for 10 seconds making sure they don’t burn
- Add the grated carrots to the pan and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes or until the carrots release water and turn slightly brown.
- Dissolve the sugar in a cup of boiling water and then add it to the carrots
- Keep cooking the carrot and sugar syrup on low to medium flame for another 15-20 minutes until dry
- Add the khoya to the pan and wait until the khoya melts into the carrots. This may take upto 10 minutes. Keep stirring to make sure that the khoya doesn’t burn.
- Cook the halwa until you feel it is fragrant and the water dries up
- Add ¾ cup of nuts & ¼ cup of raisins to the carrots and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Leave the remaining for garnishing
- Put the prepared halwa in a nice bowl and garnish with the remaining nuts
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla ice cream
Download PDF version here: indian-carrot-pudding-priyanka-kapoor