Recipe by: Ng Geok Lan
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.8 kg)
- Kosher salt (or Himalaya salt)
- 4 slices of fresh ginger
- 2 stalks of scallion (spring onion)
- One pot of water enough to cover chicken
- Clean chicken by rubbing salt all over inside and outside chicken. Then rinse with water.
- Stuff ginger and scallion into chicken cavity.
- Immerse chicken into pot of water. Cover pot with a lid.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Turn off heat while leaving chicken in the water for 30mins.
- After 30mins, remove chicken from hot water. Leave chicken to cool in ice water.
- When chicken is completely cool, chop to size with a cleaver.
- Arrange meat on a plate and drizzle with soya sauce dressing.
- Serve with Chicken Rice & Chicken Soup
Ingedrients for dipping:
- 100 g chilli
- 40 g ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 20 ml fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chicken oil
- 1 Tbsp salt + 1 Tbsp sugar
- Blend all ingredients
- 4 tbsp black sauce
- 4 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sugar
Download PDF version here: singaporean-hainanese-chicken-rice-ng-geok-lan