Recipe by: Caterina Ciuffetelli
Source: Family recipe
- 2 large eggplants
- 250 g wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- Vegetable oil (to fry)
- Tomato sauce (~ 500ml)
- 100 g Parmesan cheese
- 250 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 175 C /375 F.
- Wash and dry the eggplants.
- Thinly slice horizontally the eggplants (approx. 0.5 cm).
- In two separate bowls have the flour and the beaten eggs.
- First add some of the sliced eggplants in the flour and then dip them in the beaten eggs.
- Heat a pan with the vegetable oil (medium heat). Slowly fry the eggplant slices, and set them on a dish with paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Inside a Pyrex dish start layering (“Lasagna style”) with tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. (Optional: add some butter flakes on top).
- Cover it with aluminum foil. Set in the oven for one hour. Take the aluminum foil off the last five minutes or broil for a few seconds.
- Let it stand to cool off for five minutes.
Download PDF version here: italian-eggplant-parmigiana-caterina-ciuffetelli