Recipe by: Claire Ohsato
Source: Family Recipe
- 4 cups Japanese rice
- 4 cups water
- 5cmx10cm pc Kombu
- 6 Tbsp vinegar
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- Rinse the rice, and soak in water for at least 30min. Move to a colander and dry.
- In a saucepan, put the rice, 4 cups of water and Kombu (on the top of the rice), bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the saucepan and cook for 14 minutes. Then turn off the heater. Wait for another 14 minutes while keeping the cover on.
- Take out the Kombu and set the rice aside
- While cooking the rice, in a small bowl, mix the vinegar, sugar and salt. Make sure you mix it well till the sugar dissolves
- Add vinegar mix into the rice. To make sushi rice the following are important
- Use Japanese rice and the wooden sushi spoon
- While adding the vinegar mixture make sure you are fanning the sushi rice with a piece of paper
- Mix by mixing in straight lines. First vertically and then horizontally
Download PDF version here: japanese-sushi-rice-claire-ohsato