Recipe by: Violetta Rusinovich
Source: Family Recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
- ½ kg fat lamb (ribs or shoulders)
- 1.5 big onions
- ½ kg carrots, cut into matchsticks
- ½ kg medium grain rice
- 3-4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- ½ tbsp. French thyme
- 1 head of garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash the rice under the tap water until clear, cover with cold water and let it soaks for 30 minutes.
- Cut the meat with bones into pieces. Keep the fat in the meat intact
- Cut carrots into thick sticks. Cut onion into half and then into thin rings. Clean head of garlic from the remains of roots and dirt. Keep the whole garlic intact
- Heat oil in the wok on a very high heat, deep-fry meat until golden-brown, take meat out.
- Fry onions until golden, then add meat and stir. Add carrot and cook for 15-20min. Add 2/3 of the cumin and thyme and mix well
- Lower heat to medium, add hot water to cover all ingredients. Add salt and pepper and simmer for 30-40min until water evaporate.
- Turn heat to maximum, drain rice well and place it on top of meat. Stick the garlic in it. Cover rice with 2 cm of water above, let it boil, add salt, reduce heat and cook until water evaporated.
Download PDF version here: russian-plov_violetta-rusinovich