Recipe by: Michelle Pilarczyk
Source: Ina Garten
- 4 live lobsters* (or 6 if your budget allows)
- Good quality olive oil
- 250 g (1/2 pound) small pasta shells, such as Ronzoni
- Kernels from 4 ears of corn (about 3 cups)
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 pint (275 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup (160 g) good mayonnaise (homemade or Helllmans)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (~70 g) sour cream
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- ¾ cup minced fresh dill
- Prepare the lobster meat as follows: Boil a very large pot of water and add the lobsters, 2 at a time as this will mostly likely be the maximum that fits in the pot. Add the lobsters in live, they will die immediately (alternatively you can ask the butcher/fish monger to kill them for you but then cook them immediately for most fresh taste). Boil the lobsters for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the lobster. Remove from the water and let cool. Crack the shells and remove the meat from the tails, claws and even the tiny legs if you can (roll a rolling pin over them). If you are not sure how to do this, just look on the internet. Chop the large pieces of lobster into bite sized pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt and some olive oil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions, until al dente.
- Add the corn to the pasta and cook it for another 2 minutes, until the corn is tender.
- Drain the pasta and corn together in a colander and pour them into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the scallions, tomatoes, and lobster, tossing gently to combine. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoons pepper until smooth.
- Pour over the pasta and mix well to bind the ingredients. Stir in the dill.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill (ideally for up to 6 hours to allow the flavors to develop).
- Check the seasonings and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Download PDF here: american-lobster-and-shells