Recipe by: Penelope Black
Source: Various online sources
Serves: 8 – 10
- 1kg chicken wings (you can use drumlettes, mid-wings, or even just boneless chicken thighs)
- 2 inch knob of ginger, skin-on, grated (extract juice)
- 3 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Fine Shrimp Sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- Dash of ground white pepper
- Potato Starch
- Oil, for frying
- In a bowl, marinate the chicken with the ginger juice, shrimp sauce, sugar, sesame oil, cooking wine and pepper.
- Mix well and set aside to marinade for at least one hour. Best to leave overnight to marinade.
- Heat oil in a wok on high heat. Allow chicken to come to room temperature before frying.
- Coat chicken pieces in potato starch and shake off any excess flour.
- Cook chicken in high heat for the first 2 – 3 mins. And then reduce heat down to medium and cook for another 3 -5 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- Cook in batches to prevent overcrowding and reducing temperature of oil too much.
- Remove from oil and set aside on paper kitchen towels to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken and serve hot.
Download PDF version here: singaporean-prawn-paste-chicken-penelope-black