Recipe by: Rachna Kulshreshtha
Source: Family Recipe
- 1 cup lotus seeds (makhanas)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 5 cups full-fat milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- a few saffron (kesar) strands
- ¼ cup each of cashew nuts, pistachios, almonds, chopped
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the lotus seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till they turn crisp. Remove from the flame, allow it to cool and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add sugar, mix well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes or till the sugar dissolves, while stirring continuously. Reduce the flame to medium, add the coarsely crushed lotus seeds, mix well and cook for 19 minutes or till the milk has reduced to half, while stirring and scraping the sides of the pan occasionally.
- Add saffron and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add chopped nuts and chill until ready to serve.
Download PDF version here: indian-makhane-ki-kheer-milk-pudding-with-lotus-seeds-rachna-k