Recipe by: Rachna Kulshreshtha
Source: Family Recipe
Serves: 8 – 10
- 2 – 3 cups yellow lentils (Toovar Dal), soaked in water for 15 mins
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 onions, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 whole dried chillies
- 4 tbsp ghee (plus extra before serving)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Cook lentils with ½ tsp turmeric and water in a pressure cooker and time it to 3 – 5 whistles. If no pressure cooker, boil lentils and ground turmeric in plenty of water and until softened.
- In a saucepan, heat 4 tbsp ghee and fry the chopped onion. Add cumin seeds, dried chillies, ginger-garlic paste and fry until aromatic. Add chopped tomatoes and remaining spices (chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric powder), cooked dal and salt (to taste).
- Simmer until all the ingredients are well blended and the gravy has thickened.
Download PDF version here: indian-dal-tadka-rachna-k