Recipe by: Penelope Black
Source: Contemporary Chinese Vegetarian Cuisine
- 800g fresh button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp corn starch, fixed with 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock (you can also use chicken stock)
- 1 tsp Chinese rice wine
- Wash mushrooms in water mixed with a little salt. Discard the stems. Dry well on absorbent paper and make shallow cuts on caps.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry mushrooms until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and soak in light soy sauce for 20 mins.
- Leave 1 tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry grated ginger for 1 minute. Add the fried mushrooms with the seasoning and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add the corn flour mixture to thicken sauce. Serve hot.
Download PDF version here: chinese-golden-mushrooms-with-grated-ginger-penelope-black