Recipe by: Poonam Manoj
- 350g (2 1/3 cups) plain flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp red food colouring
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 195g (1 1/4 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180°C (356 °F).
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs, food colouring and vinegar in a jug until combined. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Line eighteen 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases. Divide the mixture among the prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Once ready, divide the icing into separate parts, depending on the number of colors you want to have. Drop some food colouring in it and mix. Put them into piping bags and decorate your cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Download PDF version here: red-velvet-cupcake-poonam-manoj