Recipe: Jocelyn Alexander
Serves: 2 – 4
- 2 tins cannellini beans
- 75g soup pasta (I use Tesco brand from fairprice but any small pasta shapes)
- One large ish white or yellow onion
- Three or four cloves of garlic
- Good homemade chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Extra virgin olive oil (around 1 tbsp.)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Finely chop the onion and peel and crush the garlic
- Put the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions and garlic, saute until translucent. Do not colour them.
- Strain and rinse the beans, then add them to the onions and garlic with the chicken stock
- Cook for 20 minutes or so until the beans are soft, then use a potato masher to mash the beans so the soup becomes thick
- If you like a smoother soup, keep cooking and mashing and cook the soup pasta separately in salted boiling water then add to the soup when you are ready to serve. If you prefer a “chunkier” texture, roughly mash then add the soup pasta and let the soup pasta cook in the boiling soup (be sure to stir a lot!)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Download PDF version here: italian-pasta-fagioli-jocelyn-alexander