Recipe by: Alessandra Van Pelt
Serves: 8 – 10
Source: Family recipe
- 250 g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 300 g almonds, with peel, roughly chopped
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 230 g butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Lightly grease a 24 cm cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Melt chocolate gently over a Bain- Marie: stir well and let it cool
- Whisk butter and sugar, until pale and smooth: add yolks, once at time, then fold in melted chocolate and almonds (roughly chopped in a mixer)
- In a very clean bowl, with a clean electric mixer, whisk up the eggs whites, until they reach stiff peaks, then fold them into the chocolate and eggs mixture (it’s easiest to do this in stages, a third first, then the rest)
- Pour the mixture into the spring form pan. Make sure the mixture is level and smooth on top.
- Bake in the centre rack of the oven at 160C for about 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs. If there is still batter on the toothpick, bake for some more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rest on a rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the outside of the cake to make sure it isn’t sticking anywhere, then remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Invert onto a plate and remove the bottom of the pan (then turn again if you prefer the other side of the cake). Let cool for 10 more minutes before dusting the cake with confectioner’s sugar.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
Download PDF version here: italian-torta-caprese-recipe-alessandra-van-pelt