Recipe by: Joanne Kane
- 6 egg whites
- Nutella or similar
- 1.5tbsps cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 12oz castor sugar (fine sugar)
- 3oz ground almonds
For the filling and topping:
- 550mls whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Nutella
- 150g dark chocolate (melted)
- Get two flat baking sheets. Cover them with baking parchment. Draw a large circle on each sheet, approx. 25cms in diameter. (The size isn’t important, but you do want both circles to be about the same size as each other).
- Preheat your oven to 140C with two racks ready.
- Make meringue in the usual way by first whipping the egg whites until very stiff peaks. Slowly whisk in the sugar.
- Sift the cocoa and almond powders and gently fold this all into the meringue mixture.
- Spoon equal amounts of meringue onto each baking sheet and smooth out to form two large meringue discs.
- Bake for 1hr, then turn off your oven and cool the meringues to cool in the oven.
- Make the cream filling and topping by whisking the cream to soft peak stage. Add the Nutella and melted dark chocolate and mix.
- Assemble the tort by placing one meringue disc onto your serving dish. Spread half of the cream mixture onto this. Top with the second meringue disc and finally finish the top with the remaining chocolate cream mixture. You can now ad additional grated dark chocolate, caramelised nuts etc, but it’s delicious just as it is.
- The dish can be eaten immediately, but is much more unctuous the following day; it becomes more of a like a giant truffle after a day or two in the fridge. Perfect for a large dinner party.
Download PDF version here: chocolate-almond-torte-joanne-kane