Recipe by: Christine Lee
Source: Family Recipe
- 2 medium heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 15 frozen scallops, thawed, washed and patted dry
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
XO Sauce Ingredients
- 225g dried scallops
- 200g dried shrimp
- 200g shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 150g fresh red chilies, de-seeded and coarsely chopped
- 400ml peanut oil
- 100g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100g streaky bacon, finely minced (optional – but it gives a better flavor)
- 3 tablespoons Shao Xing wine
Instructions for XO Sauce
- Soak the dried scallops in 2/3 cup of tepid water in a heat proof dish for 1 hour–almost all the water will be absorbed, and the dried scallops should be sufficiently softened such that they break apart when gently pressed. Steam until tender, which will take 30-90 minutes (depending on the size of the scallops). Remove dish from heat and let cool, reserving the juices. Finely shred the scallops. Set aside.
- Rinse the dried shrimp under tepid tap water. Drain. Pat dry. Grind into a fine floss using a food processor. Scrape out and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Using the pulse function, grind the shallots until finely minced. Scrape out and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Using the pulse function, grind the garlic and chilies together until finely minced. Scrape out and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pan over medium high heat. Fry the shallots, dried shrimp and sugar until the sugar begins to caramelize, stirring constantly. Add the garlic and chilli mixture, bacon, dried scallops and their reserved steaming juices. Turn heat down to medium. Continue to fry for about 30 minutes, stirring constantly. The finished condiment should be highly aromatic and a deep russet hue.
- Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Or freeze for up to 2 months; thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- Heat a frying pan with 4 tablespoons oil. Add HALF of the prepared XO sauce and minced garlic. Fry until it is fragrant.
- Add the broccoli. Stir well to coat broccoli with the sauce. Cover and allow broccoli to steam for about 5 minutes.
- Add the scallops, mix well, cover and cook for another 5 – 8 minutes, until the broccoli and scallops are cooked through. Serve hot.
Download PDF version here: malaysian-broccoli-scallops-with-homemade-xo-sauce-christine-lee