Recipe by: Christine Lee
Source: Family recipe
- 1 1/2 kg chicken pieces
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 150 ml water
- 300 ml fresh coconut milk
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large white onion
- 8 dried chillies, soaked in hot water until soft
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 candlenuts
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon belachan powder (see picture)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until a smooth paste forms.
- Heat the oil in the wok over medium heat.
- Stir-fry the onion until lightly browned.
- Add the paste and fry for 5 minutes, until oil oozes out again. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of coconut milk into this while you fry.
- Add chicken, remaining coconut milk and water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Check the consistency of your gravy. If you like a thinner gravy, add more water.
- Add lime juice and season to taste.
Download PDF version here: malaysian-curry-kapitan-christine-lee