Recipe by: Sanha Bose
Source: Family recipe
- 5-6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 stalks minced lemongrass
- Young coconut meat from 1 coconut
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1-2 cups soft tofu, sliced into cubes
- 1-2 red chilies, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece galangal sliced into thin pieces
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups baby pak choi, can substitute with broccoli or red bell pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp. Brown sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
- Pour stock into a soup pot and boil.
- Add the lemongrass, lime leaves, chili, garlic, and galangal.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes until broth flavorful
- Add the mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the pak choi and cherry tomatoes. Gently simmer 1-2 more minutes (vegetables should remain crisp).
- Reduce heat to low and add the coconut milk, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lime-juice.
- Add the soft tofu and gently stir.
- Finally add the young coconut meat cut into thick strips
- To serve, ladle soup into young coconut shells and garnish with fresh basil and coriander sprinkled over.
Add shrimps or chicken along with the vegetables to make non-vegetarian version.
Download PDF version here: thai-vegetariantom-yum-soup-sanha-bose