Recipe by: Meesha Mausoof
Source: Family recipe
- 2L full fat milk
- 1 cup vermicelli
- 3-4 green cardamom pods, seeds only (outer pods discarded)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup sliced pistachios
- ¼ tsp kewra water
*Optional: You can also add any other dried fruit like dates or raisins
- Soak rice in water for 20 minutes. In a stainless steel pot, boil milk with vermicelli and rice on low heat. As the milk starts to evaporate it will start to thicken. Add cardamom seeds.
- Add sugar, grated coconut, nuts and raisins and mix them together slowly in the pot.
- Add ¼ tsp kewra water and remove from heat.
- Pour in the serving dish and serve warm.
*It is important NOT to use a non-stick pan as the milk will form a “skin” at the bottom of the pan. This skin will be dislodged during stirring which gives an unpleasant texture in the khurma.
Download PDF version here: pakistani-sheer-khurma-meesha-mausoof