Recipe by: Assia Turner
Source: Family Recipe
Serves: 20 portions
- 1 ½ kg yellow pumpkin (round), grated
- 1 pack filo dough
- 300 g brown sugar
- 250 g roughly crushed walnuts (use mortar)
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 30 g confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Cut the pumpkin in pieces, peel and grate.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and oil.
- Leave to rest in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Carefully unroll your pack of filo dough and lay it flat. Separate carefully the edges of each sheet from the next (20 sheets per box). Use two sheets of filo dough for each roll. Brush with oil the top sheet (use a silicon brush).
- Sprinkle the top of each sheet with water. Place a small amount of pumpkin filling onto the filo sheet.
- Using a fork, distribute mixture evenly around the whole sheet. Roll tightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Pre-oil your baking pan.
- Arrange rolls next to each other in rows or snails. Arrange all rolls in the baking pan.
- Brush the top of each pie with oil.
- Put a small piece of butter on top of each roll.
- Bake for 30-40 mins.
- Serve hot or cold. (Optional: sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on top).
Download PDF version here: Bulgarian Tikvenik (Pumpkin Pie) Assia Turner