Recipe by: Assia Turner
Source: Family Recipe
Serves: Makes 10 large rolls (snails) or 20 small portions (snails)
- 1 pack filo dough (defrost for ~24 hours in the fridge)
- 2 x 250 g packs feta cheese, reduced fat preferably
- 2 x 150 g packs of cottage cheese
- 6 small eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp plain yoghurt
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ½ cup water
- 30 g unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Beat the eggs in a deep bowl until slight foam appears on top.
- Crumble the feta cheese in a bowl. Add the cottage cheese and yoghurt. Mix well to combine.
- Carefully unroll your pack of filo dough and lay it flat on a clean surface.
- Separate carefully the edges of each sheet from the next (20 sheets per box). Use two sheets of filo dough for each snail. Brush with oil the top of each sheet (use a silicon brush).
- Sprinkle the top of each sheet with water. Place a small amount of filling onto the filo sheet. Using a fork, distribute mixture evenly around the whole sheet. Roll tightly.
- Pre-oil your baking pan. Arrange rolls next to each other in rows or snails. If you want smaller snails, cut each roll in half before making the snail. Arrange all snails in the baking pan
- Brush the top of each snail with oil and place a small piece of butter on top of each one.
- Bake for 30-40 mins.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Serve with plain yogurt or yogurt cucumber salad on the side (optional).
Download PDF version here: Bulgarian Banitza (Feta Cheese Pie) Assia Turner