Recipe by: Tracie Fitzpatrick
Source: Tracie’s Husband’s dish, adapted from mygreekdish.com
Serve with a Greek Salad on the side
- 1 leg of lamb (1.2-1.5 kg), you can always use shoulder too, or both
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1 bunch of fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 Tbsp dried oregano)
- Rosemary, fresh handful
- 1 kg floury potato, such as Charlotte or russet
- 4 bay leaves
- 175 ml white wine
- Olive oil
Instructions (Day Before)
- Using a small paring knife, make approximately 15-16 incisions into the flesh of the lamb.
- Smash the garlic bulb with the palm of your hand and peel the garlic gloves.
- Slice each clove in half and then insert each sliver into the incisions of the lamb.
- Season generously with salt, pepper and oregano plus rosemary and place into a freezer bag.
- Drizzle a good amount of olive oil into the bag along with juice from one lemon and shake and rub all over.
- Leave overnight in the fridge
Instructions (Same Day)
Preheat oven to 140 C (285 F)
- Remove the meat from the fridge and allow it to come up to room temperature.
- Take a large roasting tray and line it with two lengths of strong foil, lying them over each other to create a cross. Do the same with parchment paper.
- Place the lamb on top and drizzle everything with another splash of olive oil, the bay leaves and the white wine.
- Juice and zest the second lemon and drizzle over the top of the lamb.
- Pull the edges of the foil together to wrap and seal, trying to leave some space above the lamb for steam to circulate.
- Place in the oven and leave to slowly braise for 2 ½ hours.
- Add the chopped potatoes and cook another 2 ½ hours, after which time the potatoes will soak up the juices and the meat should be falling off the bone.
- Pull the meat off the bone and shred with a fork.
- Spoon a generous serving of potatoes on a plate, place the shredded lamb on top and drizzle over the tray juices.
- Serve with a nice Greek salad as accompaniment.
Download PDF version here: British Greek Kleftiko (Lamb with Potatoes) Tracie Fitzpatrick