Recipe by: Geraldine Pelissier
Serves: 45 mini canneles or 10 – 12 large ones
Source: Family recipe
- 500g full cream milk
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs + 1 yolk, beated
- 200g sugar
- 130g flour
- 10g oil
- 1 – 2 tbsp dark rum
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to boil and add vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped to release flavour. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 mins, stirring from time to time. Set aside to cool.
- Strain the mixture to remove vanilla bean.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar and beaten eggs and slowly add the milk. Mix well with a whisk to combine. Stir in rum and rest the mixture for at least 6 – 12 hours in the fridge.
- Coat the silicone cannele moulds with butter or oil. Remove batter from fridge at least 1hr before placing in moulds.
- Preheat oven to 240°C
- Fill moulds up to ¾ mark. Bake at 240°C for 15 mins, then reduce oven temperature to 180°C and bake for another 1hr 15 mins until the canneles are dark brown.
- Once cooked, remove from moulds and pop onto a wire rack to cool.
Download PDF version here: French Canneles from Bordeaux Geraldine Pelissier