Recipe by: Winnie Ong
Source: Winnie Ong
Makes 20 pieces
A Tasty Chinese New Year Treat of Hokkien origin
- 1 large sheet of tofu skin
- 250 g prawns (medium), peeled and deveined, lightly chopped
- 100g minced pork
- 40g mackerel fish paste
- 4 water chestnuts, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 15g carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- White pepper
- 2 Tb corn starch
- 1 egg
- Dipping sauce: Sweet Chilli or Sweet Black Soy (Kecap Manis)
- Mix all ingredients (except tofu skin and dipping sauce) into a mixing bowl to get a sticky paste.
- Cut tofu skin into quarters. Lightly rub them with a damp, clean cloth to soften them or lightly rinse with water to remove excess salt.
- Fill and line each tofu skin with the prawn mixture lengthwise and roll up the sheet to form a roll. Ensure that the roll is packed tightly.
- Set the rolls on an oiled dish and place into steamer.
- Steam the rolls for 15 mins. Keep aside to let it cool.
- Cut into 1.5” pieces.
- Dust with some rice flour, deep fry in hot oil (medium flame) till golden brown.
- Serve hot or warm, with dipping sauce.
Download PDF here: Singaporean HeiZho (Crispy Prawn and Pork Rolls) Winnie Ong