Recipe by: Preeti Minhas
Source: Family Recipe
- 1 cup urad dal
- ½ cup chana dal
- 1/3 cup rajama
- 4-5 cups of water
- 1 can Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- Pinch of asofetida
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp fresh grated garlic
- 2-4 dried red whole chillis
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Soak all the dal overnight in water. Drain them well and rinse it for a few times in fresh water. Keep aside.
- Make the tarka by heating the cooking oil in a pressure cooker, medium heat. Add a pinch of asofetida, dried whole chillis and stir it for half a minute. Then, add grated ginger and garlic. Cook till it gets fragrant, about 1-2 mins.
- Next, add cumin powder and coriander powder. Cook it for another minute and then blend in the finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. Cook this for 4-5 mins.
- Add the drained dal to the prepared tarka and mix well. Make sure that the spices get incorporated properly.
- Add water to the dal mix. Pressure cook it till 6-10 whistles. Turn the gas off and let the pressure cooker rest for 6 mins or so.
- Check the softness of the dal. If it’s not soft and mushy, add more water and pressure cook it for another 2-4 whistles.
- When the dal is ready, add hunts tomato sauce, cream, and butter. Let it cook for 3-4 mins. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander. Serve with rice or chapatti.
Note: This Dal tastes yummy if cooked a day in advance. You can use less butter and cream in your dal.
Download PDF here (more photos are in the PDF): Indian Dal Makahni Preeti Minhas