Recipe by: Yajai van der Lee (Ann)
Source: Family recipe
- 1 kg prawn, peeled and cleaned, keep shell aside to make stock
- 250 g white mushroom like oyster mushroom, straw mushroom, inoki, champinon
- 4 cups broth/ water
- 4 stalks lemongrass, use the white and light green part, cut into 2-3 cms, bruise
- 5 cms old galangal root, sliced half cm. about 7-10 slices
- 8 kefir lime leaves, torn
- 3 shallots, bruise
- 4 coriander roots, clean root thoroughly and bruise
- 2 tomatoes, cut into bite size or use baby tomato cut half
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 6 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp Thai chili paste (Nam Prik Phao) optional
- Lime juice from 3-4 limes
- 10-15 bird eyes chili, pounded finely or cut – less/more to your liking
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- Boil prawn shells in the soup for about 15 minutes and then remove the shells and discard.
- Add lemongrass, galangal, kefir lime leaves, shallots, coriander roots to the soup and boil for another 10 minutes at medium/ low heat.
- Add Thai chili paste (optional), salt, fish sauce, coconut milk to the soup and continue cooking
- Add mushroom and tomato, wait until tomato is a bit soft maybe 3-5 minutes. Taste and adjust your flavor.
- Add prawn, wait until cooked for a few minutes
- Prepare chopped chili and lime juice in each serving bowl. Top with the soup. Decorate with coriander leaves on top.
- Mix before you eat
Note: you can bruise herbs by using the back of a knife or a mortar pestle
Download PDF here: Thai Tom Yum Soup Yajai Van Der Lee