Recipe by: Tania Nicaise
Source: family recipe
Serve the Waterzooi with boiled potatoes or French baguette
Note: you can make the broth with a whole chicken, carrot, celery stalk, brown onion, thyme, bay leaf, parsley stalks, salt and pepper. Remove the flesh from the bones and then use it with this broth for the Waterzooi recipe.
- 350 ml homemade chicken broth
- 1 chicken or 4 single chicken breasts or 2 double
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 leeks, white stalk
- salt & white pepper
- 50 g butter
- 20 g flour
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped chevril or tarragon
- Trim and wash the vegetables and cut them into julienne matchsticks
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces and set aside
- In a wide casserole, slowly cook the vegetables in 20 g butter.
- Season the chicken and add in the casserole with broth. Simmer for 20 min till cooked.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth and set aside with a little broth
- In a pan, melt the remaining butter and pour the flour in. Mix well and cook for 1 min.
- Add one ladle of hot chicken liquid, mix well and pour in the rest of the broth and cook for 10 min. The broth will thicken.
- Add the cream and set over medium-low heat ;don’t let it boil
- Add vegetables and chicken. Check seasoning and sprinkle with the chopped herbs
Download PDF here (many more photos are in the PDF): Belgian Waterzooi a la Gantoise (Chicken Stew) Tania Nicaise