Recipe by: Stephanie Maas
Source: adapted from Magnolia Bakery’s Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes @ 50 g each
- 85 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 210 g caster sugar
- 205 g cake flour
- 2 heaped Tbsp of cocoa powder
- ¾ cups of buttermilk
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ eggs
- 1 tsp of red gel food coloring (Americolor brand)
- ¾ tsp cider vinegar
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F)
- Line cupcake tin with cupcake papers
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder together in a bowl
- In a separate bowl add the vanilla extract into the buttermilk.
- Use electric mixer and beat butter and sugar until white and fluffy
- Add eggs to butter mixture – one at a time- , until incorporated
- Then add the flour in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk
- Do not over mix!
- Add the red food coloring
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda and the cider vinegar and stir into the mixture using a rubber spatula
- Add 50 g of the cupcake mixture into each cupcake liner and bake 20-25 min or until cooked.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and let it cool.
Download PDF here: American Red Velvet Cupcakes Stephanie Maas