Recipe by: Tania Nicaise
Source: adaptation of “Torte Salate fatte in casa”, Sale&Pepe Collection 2008
- 1 Brisee dough
- 140 g smoked bacon, in one piece
- 1 small broccoli
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 300 ml fresh cream 40%
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper & Cayenne pepper ( or chilli powder)
- 140 g grated Gruyere cheese
Ingredietns (Brisee Dough)
- 250 g Top Flour (Phoon Huat)
- A pinch of salt (around 5gr)
- 125 g frozen butter, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp very cold water
Instructions (Brisee Dough)
- Place the flour on a cleaned surface. Add the salt and make a hole in the middle
- Put the grated butter in the middle and rub the butter into the flour by lifting up small amounts with the fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and the cold water and knead lightly until all ingredients are combined
- Wrap in clingfilm and let it rest for at least 30 min.
- Let the dough “heat” again at room temp before rolling out (2-3 mm) between 2 pieces of baking paper (this method simplifies the task).
- Remove one paper, roll the pastry around your roller pin and put on a butter/floured tin. Remove the second baking paper. ( I used a 23Ø tin, but there’s enough ingredients for 25Ø tin)
- Press the pastry over the base and up the sides of the tin with your fingertips, trim excess of pastry and chill it for minimum 15 min (to minimize shrinkage while cooking)
Note: It’s even better if you rest the dough overnight. You can keep the dough in the fridge for 3 days or 3 months in the freezer!
Preheat the oven 180 C (350 F)
- Bake the tart case empty (baking blind): prick the pastry base with a fork, line with baking paper and half-fill the tin with baking beans to hold the pastry in shape.
- Bake for 10-15 min or until just set, then lift out the paper and the filling.
- Decrease the oven temp to 160C and cook the empty tart for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli in small florets
- Cut the smoked bacon in cubes and blanch them in boiling water for 1 min.
- In a bowl, mix the egg and egg yolks, add the cream, S, P, nutmeg and a pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Fill in the tart with the smoked bacon, the broccoli and grated cheese
- Add the eggs mix.
- Cook for 20-25 min or until the filling is hardened (check with a tooth stick)
- The Quiche can be served hot or at room temperature.
Download PDF here (many more photos are in this PDF): French Quiche Lorraine with Broccoli Tania Nicaise