Recipe by: Sukanya Banerjee
Source: family recipe
- 1 can (392 g) sweetened condensed milk (Milkmaid)
- 400 ml plain yoghurt
- Boiling water for bain-marie
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- Nuts for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together condensed milk, yoghurt and cardamom till it has blended well into a smooth mixture
- Pour the yoghurt mix into a container, preferably flat as we want an even bake. The yoghurt mix should fill to the brim of the container.
- Place the yoghurt mix container in a large baking tray and pour boiling water in the tray.
- Bake in the oven at 200C for about 15-20 min covered with an aluminum foil, or in the microwave for 2-3 min covered by a plastic foil.
- If the mix is still a bit wobbly in the center, rest it in the warm bain-marie for 5 min, it should set.
- Put the Bhapa Doi in the fridge and serve cold.
- Note: You can replace the cardamom by 2 Tbsp of caramel, saffron or mango puree. The flavor must be added when the yoghurt and condensed milk are being whisked together. You can also garnish with nuts.
Download PDF here (more photos available in the PDF): S. Indian Mishti Bhapa Doi (Baked Yogurt Pudding) Sukanya Banerjee