Recipe by: Tanya Watts
Source: Laharum Community Cookbook
Makes 24 Pieces
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 roma tomato, finely diced
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry (thawed)
- 50 g mascarpone cheese (can be substituted with cream cheese/sour cream)
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ~100 g shaved parmesan cheese
- 24 baby basil leaves
Preheat oven to 200 C (390 F)
- Heat butter and oil. Add sliced onion and sugar. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally until tender and caramelized.
- Add tomato paste and cook for further 3 mins.
- Stir in tomato and set aside to cool.
- Cut each sheet of pastry into rounds to fit 2 x 12 mini muffin pans.
- Place 1 heaped teaspoon of the tomato mixture into each pastry cup.
- Bake in oven 12-15 mins.
- Combine Mascarpone cheese and chopped basil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Top tartlets with a spoonful of mascarpone cheese and garnish with shaved parmesan and a baby basil leaf.
Download PDF here: Australian Caramelised Tomato and Onion Tartlets Tanya Watts