Recipe by: Sukanya Banerjee
Source: family recipe
- 500g small potatoes, boiled in salted water
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree made from 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 4-6 cashews
- ½ Tbsp kasuri methi (dried leaf of fenugreek)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup water
- Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Boil the potatoes with salt and peel them. Make sure they are just about boiled through and not mushy.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a pan. Add boiled potatoes and shallow fry them over medium flame until they turn light brown. Drain and transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom pod, cinnamon, cloves and cashew nuts. Grind everything together into a dry mix powder. Keep aside.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil over medium flame in the same pan used for the potatoes.
- Add a pinch of asafetida, bay leaf minced garlic and finely chopped onion.
- Saute until onion turns light brown or for approx. 2-3 min.
- Add pureed tomatoes to kadai and mix well
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix again. Stir continuously until oil starts to separate around 2-3 min
- Add the fried potatoes, kasuri methi, sugar and salt, cook on law flame for 2 minutes
- Add grinded spices and saute for a minute
- Add around ½ cup water and bring to boil on medium flame
- When it starts to boil, cook covered on low flame. Cook for 3-4 min. Turn off the flame and transfer it into a serving bowl
- Garnish with coriander leaves
Download PDF here (more photos in the PDF): S. Indian Alum Dom (Potatoes) Sukanya Banerjee