Recipe by: Sukanya Banerjee
- 1.8 kg chicken (bone-in)
- 1 large red onion cut into rings
- 1 cup red onion paste
- 1.5 Tbsp grated garlic
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp ghee or 2 Tbsp ghee-oil mix
- 1 heaped tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp cashew paste
- 1.5 cups of plain yoghurt
Ingredients (Whole Spices)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole red chilies
- 6-7 green cardamom pods
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- ¾ tsp black peppercorns
- Marinate chicken with 2 Tbsp. oil, ginger, garlic, chilies, onion paste, 1 tsp salt. Mix well till all pieces are coated
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat 2 Tbsp ghee in a pan. Add the whole spices and saute till fragrant.
- Stir in the marinated chicken and cook for around 10 min without lid on medium to high heat, stirring occasionally till the chicken pieces are sealed and raw smell of the marinate cooks off.
- While chicken cooks, whip the yoghurt with little water, 1.5 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt
- Pour yoghurt mix into chicken along with onion rings and cashew paste. Stir to mix.
- Cover and cook medium heat till chicken is cooked (Approx. 20-25 min)
- Add some water if the gravy thickens too much.
Download PDF here (more photos in the PDF): Indian Chicken Rezala Sukanya Banerjee