Recipe by: Sibel Cinar
Source: Family Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 500gr ground beef, or lamb, or mix
- ½ cup round rice (japonica style)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped parsley (flat or English parsley)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½-2 cups sunflower oil
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onions. Sauté for 2-3 min until they start to soften
- Stir in half of the ground meat and cook until the moisture is absorbed (10-15 min)
- In the meantime, pour the hot water in a pot and cook the rice, uncovered, until it is soft enough (about 5-7 minutes).
- Drain the water, rinse the rice in cold water, drain, and set aside
- Combine the cooked ground meat, remaining raw meat, cumin, 1 egg, black pepper, salt, chopped parsley and cooked rice. Knead well for 2-3 min.
- Wet your hands and take a large egg sized portion of the meat mixture, make an oval ball and then flatten it.
- Cover and leave the meatballs in the fridge for at least 15-30 min for the flavors to combine. (Will be even better if left in fridge for hours or overnight)
- Put the flour in a plate, beat the two remaining eggs in a bowl
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan
- Dip the meatballs in the flour, make sure you cover it well, then dip into the beaten eggs and fry in hot oil. They will be golden in colour.
- Drain the cooked meatballs on the kitchen towel. Serve warm.
Download PDF here: Turkish Lady’s Thigh Meatballs ( Kadinbudu Kofte) – Sibel Cinar