Recipe by: Sibel Cinar
Serves: 4 -6
For the syrup
- 3 cups sugar
- 3.5 cups water
- Juice from half a small lemon
For the cookie
- 125gr butter, softened
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- ½ cup milk or 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1Tbsp semolina
- A pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla powder or 2-3 drops of liquid vanillin
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup crushed hazelnut (or walnut) mixed with 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Prepare first the syrup: put the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring it to boil; lower the heat to medium and add lemon juice; let it boil for another 25 min. Turn the heat off and leave it aside to cool down.
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- In a bowl, add the soft butter and oil, mix well and stir in the milk (or yogurt)
- Add semolina, salt, baking powder, vanilla.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time, and mix well. Make sure the dough is not too soft nor too hard. If you need to add some flour, do so.
- Take large walnut-sized piece of dough into your palm, make an oval-shaped ball and flatten it, put some crushed hazelnut with cinnamon in the middle, close the dough and shape it like an oval ball again.
- Place it on a parchment paper lined baking tray, leave some space between each ball.
- Bake the cookies for 35-40 min or until they look golden brown.
- Let it cool down for 10-15 min; while they are still warm place them in a large dish and pour the cool syrup on top of them slowly.
- Let the cookies absorb the syrup and rest at least 4-5hrs before you serve them.
Download PDF here: Turkish Cookie with Hazelnuts in syrup ( Kalburabasti) – Sibel Cinar