Recipe from: Magdalena Sanguinetti
Source: adapted from Jamie Oliver’s “Jamie’s Italy”
- 3 large eggplants, cut into large chunks
- 2 heaped Tbsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 200 ml olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- small bunch of flat-leave parsley, finely chopped (stems chopped separately)
- 80 g capers, rinsed in water, drained and crushed
- 100 g green or black olives, pitted and cut in chunks
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar (alternatively
- herb vinegar, but not balsamic vinegar!)
- 3 ripe tomatoes (preferably plum tomatoes)
- 1½ can (600 g) diced tomatoes
- Heat up a large pan/pot with olive oil in medium heat. Add the eggplant chunks and oregano, salt and pepper to taste and toss around so that the eggplants are evenly coated in oil. Cook (work in batches if pan/pot too full) until the eggplants are golden and cooked. Add more olive oil (or even a bit of water) if pan/pot getting too dry.
- Add onion, garlic and parsley stalks. Cook for another 5-10 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add more olive oil (or even a bit of water) if pan/pot getting too dry.
- Add capers, green olives, sugar and red wine vinegar. When vinegar has evaporated, add fresh and canned tomatoes. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Let cool down and let rest in fridge. Serve next day, hot or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley leaves.