Recipe by: Vera Zuehlke
Source: Family recipe
- 2 thick slices of white bread
- ~200 ml water, in a bowl
- 500 g minced meat
- 1 egg
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 bunch of chopped fresh coriander
- 1 chili (depends on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ~ 3-4 Tbsp semolina
- Ghee or butter or oil for frying
- Put the bread in bowl with water for 1-2 mins then squeeze out all the water.
- Mix the bread with the minced meat in a large bowl.
- Add the salt and pepper, coriander, egg and mustard.
- In a small pan under medium heat, braise onion, garlic and chili in some ghee or butter or oil.
- Remove from fire and add to the bread-mince mixture.
- Divide the mix in 8. Make balls and flatten them.
- Roll the balls around in semolina
- Fry the balls in a pan with ghee under medium fire for 5-6 mins each side or until golden brown.
- Remove the frikadellen from the fry pan and place them briefly on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve hot with side dish of your choice.
Download PDF here: German Frikadellen (Meatballs) Vera Zuehlke