Recipe by: Vera Zuehlke
Source: “Die Echte Französische Küche” Book
- 125 g butter
- 125 g dark chocolate in a bar
- 4 eggs
- 125 g sugar
- 100 g grated almonds
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Some icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- Preheat oven to 200 C/390 F. Grease a round baking pan (about 26cm diameter).
- Melt the butter in a small pot under low flame. Set aside.
- Grate the chocolate and melt it in a “bain-marie” (double boil). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar until foamy/frothy.
- Add almonds, melted butter and melted chocolate to the sugar-egg mixture.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and carefully add it to mixture.
- Add corn starch to the mixture by passing it through a sieve, to avoid lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for about 40 minutes. Stick in a wooden needle: if no dough sticks to it, the cake is done. The cake should be soft and not too dry inside.
- Let the cake cool down.
- Garnish with some icing sugar by sprinkling it through a small sieve.
- Serve at room temperature.
Download PDF here: French Gateau au Chocolat (Chocolate Cake) Vera Zuehlke