Recipe by: Archana Raveendran
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cups + 1 Tbsp yogurt or whole milk
- Olive oil and za’atar to garnish
- Combine flour, salt, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until combined. Add olive oil and the yogurt or milk and knead the dough hook at low speed until dough comes together in a smooth ball. Dough should stick slightly to bottom of bowl as it kneads (add slightly more yogurt or milk as necessary). Continue to knead for 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, form dough in a food processor by adding all ingredients and processing until the dough rides around the blade. Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to rise at room temperature until roughly doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Using a scraper or a knife, cut the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then place on a well-floured surface (leaving a few inches space between each one) and cover with a floured cloth. Alternatively, place each ball of dough in an individual covered plastic container. Allow dough to rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Flatten the ball with a roller pin and cook on a very hot pancake pan
- Once cooked, put some olive oil on it and sprinkle generously with za’atar.
Download PDF here: Lebanese Za’atar Bread – Archana Raveendran