Recipe by: Tania Nicaise
Source: “Plumcake dolci e salati”- Ilona Chovancova
This is a very light/fluffy version of carrot cake. The sweetness of the sugar and carrots is balanced by the walnuts. You can keep it for a couple of days wrapped in aluminium foil and eat it for breakfast. Delicious!
- 200 g cake flour, sifted
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 125 g sugar
- 125 g butter, melted but not hot
- 250 g carrots (2-3 depending the size) grated
- 2 handful walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
Ingredients (Lemon Icing, Optional)
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 180 C (350 F) degrees.
- Lightly grease and dust with flour a 25 x 10 cm rectangular tin.
- In a bowl, whisk at high speed the eggs with sugar till the mixture is pale and the volume tripled.
- Add the flour, then the melted butter and the salt. Mix carefully.
- Add the grated carrots, walnuts, cinnamon. Briefly mix and add the baking powder and the baking soda. Mix carefully.
- Pour in the tin and bake for around 40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Instructions (Lemon Icing, Optional)
- Mix the icing sugar with the boiling water and the lemon juice.
- Blend till the icing is spreadable and shiny.
- Spread on the cake and leave to set 15 mins before serving.
Download PDF here: European Carrot and Walnut Cake Tania Nicaise