Recipe by: Dulce Legerstee
Source: Family recipe
To be served by itself (can drizzle with double cream) or along side other desserts like cakes, mousse, pies, puddings etc.
- 900 g butternut squash (or pumpkin, can use Japanese pumpkin), see photos, peeled, seeded and cut into large chunks
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 350 g desiccated (dried) grated coconut
- Double cream to drizzle (optional)
- Put all ingredients, except the coconut, in a large pot and cook on medium-low heat until the pumpkin is very soft, about 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- You can mash any large pieces of pumpkin with a potato masher, or, if you prefer, leave it more chunky.
- Add the coconut, mix well and remove from heat.
- When it’s cooled down a bit, transfer it to an air tight container and store it in the fridge.
- Drizzle with double cream (optional).
- Serve it cold or at room temperature.
Download PDF here: Brazilian Doce de Abobora (Butternut Squash Compote) Dulce Legerstee