Recipe by: Melinda Walley
Source: Melinda Walley (adapted from a variety of sources)
Serves: Makes about 20 mini toasts
- 1/3 cup crème fraiche (French sour cream, readily available)
- 250 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish (see photo)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ bunch of dill, finely chopped
- Salt and (freshly ground) pepper
- 1 loaf whole grain bread, sliced (need about 10 slices)
- ~50 g butter, melted
- ½ red onion, sliced then chopped so slices are not too long
- 4 eggs, hard boiled (9 mins boiled, then rinsed in cold water, shelled and then chopped finely or grated)
- ½ of a 150 g jar of capers (see photo)
- 300 g smoked salmon slices, cut into smaller pieces (2-3 per slice)
- Tips of 20 dill sprigs for garnish
- Once the cream cheese is at room temperature, mash together using a fork with the crème fraiche, creamed horseradish, zest of 1 ½ lemons (reserve the zest of ½ lemon as garnish), and ½ bunch of chopped dill.
- Season with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Toast the slices of whole grain bread. Remove the crusts, cut into 2 toasts per slice and brush with melted butter.
- Assemble each toast / canapé by stacking a small bit of cream cheese mixture on each toast, followed by a small pieces of smoked salmon, a larger dollop of cream cheese mixture then a little spoon (~6-8 count) capers, a little bit of chopped / grated egg, a few pieces of chopped red onion, a tiny little piece of salmon for color, topped with a tip of dill spring and a sprinkle of lemon zest.
- Repeat for all 10 slices of bread = 20 mini toasts / canapes.
Download PDF here: Australian Salmon Cream Cheese Caper Canape Melinda Walley