Recipe by: Sibel Cinar
Source: Family Recipe
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup fine bulgur wheat*
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ Tbsp red pepper paste*
- 2 Tbsp sunflower or olive spread*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 4-5 spring onions (scallions), chopped finely
- 1 cup of chopped English parsley (curly parsley, see photo)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ lemon, juice of
- Curly lettuce leaves (optional)
- Wash red lentils and boil them in a large saucepan with 2 1/2 cups of water for 20 mins or until lentils are soft enough.
- Turn off the heat. Add the bulgur and salt . Mix once and cover it for 15-20 mins to let the bulgur expand. Let it cool off.
- In a pan, add sunflower spread and olive oil. Heat them for 1-2 mins , then add the onion (not the spring onion) and cook until soft, 5-7 mins.
- Add tomato paste and red pepper paste and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Add this to the lentils and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add lemon juice and cumin , mix well.
- Add the spring onion and parsley, mix well. (You can use your hands for mixing all the ingredients.)
- Take walnut size pieces and give them a ball shape with your hands .
- Wrap the red lentil balls with lettuce (optional).
- Afiyet Olsun! (Bon appetite in Turkish)
Download PDF here: Turkish Red Lentil Balls Sibel Cinar