Recipe by: Melinda Walley
Source: Family Recipe
- Tiger Prawns, shelled and deveined (~21-25 medium sized prawns)
- ½ cup orange Juice
- 1 inch of ginger, skinned and chopped
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp of Tabasco sauce, see photo
- 1 Tbsp cream
- 1 shot of cognac, see photo
- Mixed Italian lettuce leaves
- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place orange juice, star anise, cloves and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and leave to infuse for as long as possible (for at least one hour, overnight if possible).
- Strain infused orange juice.
- Fry the prawns in a heavy based fry pan – flash fry (fry at high heat quickly each side) to get a nice caramelised finished.
- Add cognac and light with a match – let it “flame”.
- Once flame is gone, remove the prawns and add orange juice and bring to a simmer. Reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and add the cream.
- Serve the sauce hot over the prawns with the salad.
- Segment the grapefruit, reserving all juice.
- Toss lettuce and grapefruit segments.
- Mix olive oil and the grapefruit juice.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss with salad and serve.
Download PDF here: Australian Flambé Prawns with Orange Sauce Melinda Walley