Recipe by: Nobuko Crawford
Source: Family recipe
- 400 g sliced beef or pork
- 750 g potatoes
- 2-3 carrots
- 2-3 onions
- 1 packet Ito-Konnyaku (Konnyaku noodles, see photo in attached PDF file)
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 sachet Dashi powder (Katsuo), see photo in attached PDF file
- 2 Tbsp raw sugar
- 3 Tbsp Sake
- 3 Tbsp Mirin*
- 3 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2-3 field or green peas for garnish, boiled and sliced
- Cut the potatoes and the carrots into cubes. Cut the onions into 1/8 blocks.
- Soak the potato cubes in water.
- Boil the Konnyaku in water for 2-3 mins then rinse.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot.
- Stir fry the sliced meat, carrots and onions for 1 min (meat doesn’t have to be cooked at this point).
- Add the potatoes, 1 cup water, Dashi powder, raw sugar, Sake, and Mirin and cover with a lid.
- Lower the heat and cook for 20 mins, stirring once.
- Add the Konnyaku, light soy sauce and cook a further 5-10 mins until the potato and carrots are cooked.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with field peas or green peas.
Download PDF file here: Japanese Niku-Jaga (Meat & Potato) Nobuko Crawford