Recipe by: Sheetal Sharma
Source: Family recipe
- 4.5 cups (~1.1 litres) fresh full fat yogurt
- 8 – 9 Tbsp sugar or powdered sugar, to taste
- ½ Tsp cardamom powder or 4 to 5 green cardamoms crushed finely in a mortar-pestle
- 2 pinches saffron strands
- ½ Tbsp warm milk
- 7 – 8 crushed or chopped pistachios for garnish, you can use any dry fruit of your choice
Instructions (Hung Curd or Yogurt)
- Line a strainer on a deep bowl. Then line a muslin cheesecloth or kitchen cotton towel on the strainer. Pour in the fresh curd.
- Bring the four edges of the muslin together and tie one edge tightly around the rest.
- Gently press and you will see the whey dripping.
- Place a heavy bowl or lid or tray on the tied muslin. If you have a hook, you can also hang the muslin in your refrigerator.
- Keep the whole thing in the fridge for 4 – 5 hours or overnight.
- With a silicon spatula, collect the hung curd in a container or lidded bowl if not using it.
- Cover with its lid and then refrigerate. With the hung curd you can now proceed to make the shrikhand.
Download PDF here: Indian Kesar Elaichi Skrikhand (Saffron Cardamom Yogurt) Sheetal Sharma